It’s no shock that consumers no longer rely as much on billboards, TV ads and other outbound marketing methods. This has changed dramatically given the mainstream use of the Internet. People are now turning to social media outlets like Twitter, Facebook, and other conversational “2 way” methods
As for businesses who use inbound marketing, via social media and other forms of inbound marketing, they are finding that they are getting more and better leads for less money. This is because typically inbound marketing is less expensive. As Lauren Drell talks about in a recent article on mashable.com, “why try to buy your way in when consumers aren’t even paying attention?” Here are some interesting stats from that article:
- 44% of direct mail is never opened. That’s a waste of time, money & paper.
- 86% of people skip through TV commercials.
- 84% of 25 to 34 year olds have clicked out of a website because of an “irrelevant or intrusive ad.”
- The cost per lead in outbound marketing is more than for inbound marketing.
- 200 million have registered their number on the “do not call list.”
- 91% of email users have unsubscribed from a company email that they previously subscribed to.
- Inbound marketing costs 62% less per lead than traditional outbound marketing.